Friday 7 November 2014

Voodoo Ray's, Dalston - 1/11/14


When people hype stuff you automatically go in expecting fireworks. It's why I thought Nando's was going to change my life in 2010, and it's why I bought some New Balance last year and some Nike Free Runs this summer (don't worry I hate myself so you don't have to). Hype, therefore, is obviously terrible.

But apparently I never learn not to trust it, because I was super pumped to go to Voodoo Ray's last Saturday. I heard they did vegan pizza by the New York-style slice, all of which sounded more than good to me, but I shoulda known better (actually feel a Tay Swift style ballad about this place coming on). The pizza was… okay. We ordered 4 slices of their vegan special which had a bunch of veggies and a pesto-like sauce on it, but, um, they dropped one of our slices and we had to get like a Halloween special with a curried pumpkin base. It was fine, but I was sad that I didn't get the pizza I wanted. Here are some photos of the pizza:



The top photo is the pumpkin one, and the bottom photo is the veggie one. The quality of the toppings on these pizzas was definitely pretty good, but I felt like the base was slightly hard (maybe something to do with the slices being reheated after sitting and waiting on the counter). I do enjoy a crispy base, but I like there to be a little softness on top, too, which just was not there. The tomato sauce was, again, pretty nice but largely unremarkable. It was a fine pizza, but I gotta admit, I expected more. 

It wasn't like, a bad experience, and if you find yourself on Kingsland Road needing pizza/a vegan snack, you could totally do worse than going here. But just make sure they don't drop your damn slice *side eyes Voodoo Ray's to infinity*

Pizza rating - 6/10 (minus 1 point for dropping the pizza. Y'all should be carrying pizza slices around like newborns. Protect them at all costs.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment