Tuesday 5 August 2014

Nørrebro Express Pizza, Copenhagen - 26/07/14


Copenhagen is not a city known for its pizza. It is a city of history, architecture, and unfairly beautiful people, but not necessarily of dough and tomatoes and (fake) cheese.

However, it is my mission in life - nay, my calling - to make every city a city of pizza; to seek out the very best pies, exposing them for the world to see (I am being very dramatic, but it is literally that important to me and also I love attention). So, with that in mind, I present Nørrebro's Express Pizza for your viewing pleasure.


I am going to drop a pretty big statement right now: Express Pizza do probably the best intentionally 'vegan' pizza I have ever tasted. Though they also make pies with meat - and for sure, meat eaters should 100% visit too - they use probably the best fake cheese and meat I have ever tasted. I had pepperoni and Ben had ham and we both agree that it was insanely dope. Their dough, and especially the crispy crusts, has a texture such as would convince you it's made by the hands of angels, but it is honestly the sauce that's the star of the show. 

I have an Italian grandma (luv u Nonna), and she used to make the world's greatest pasta sauce - I know I mostly speak in hyperbole but this one is the honest truth. Express Pizza's pizza sauce smells and tastes EXACTLY like that sauce. Ben will testify to the fact that I sat sniffing a slice of my pizza for about a full minute because it smelled so good, and so similar to my grandma's old time-y cooking.

That's why Express Pizza, and especially their vegan pizza, is so fucking great, you see. Because so often, vegan pizza isn't really considered to be authentic (and often, it doesn't really taste it), 'cause it uses different ingredients to the classix. But Express Pizza makes vegan pizza totally authentic - the friendly owner who gave us free Cokes, and their small, mom and pop style location, complete with photos of dark haired, mustachio'd musicians on the walls, definitely adds to that authenticity - and most importantly, it also just makes it completely delicious. Whoever said Copenhagen doesn't know pizza obviously just never went to Express Pizza. 

Pizza rating - 10/10

Express Pizza Nørrebro
Mimersgade 102, 2200 København
http://www.expresspizza.dk

No comments:

Post a Comment